100+ Advanced Tips on SEO For Ecommerce (On-Page) – Tyler Collins :: Orange County SEO
Tyler Collins (Orange County SEO http://www.ocseo.com) breaks down exactly how to optimize your ecommerce store with over 100 tips for proper online store setup. Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX9T9ty33d0
What SEO features should you have on your ecommerce store?
Note: this is a general guide to the video but you should watch the full video for in-depth explanation of each item and a lot more.
On-page SEO for Ecommerce
How to choose an Ecommerce platform?
– critical for SEO features and configuration opportunities
– Magento or Shopify, based built in features
* all platforms will require customization for best performance
Basic SEO (standard features)
Covers the commonly known / industry standards.
* Static, search engine friendly URLs?
– include keywords, separated by hyphens
– avoid dynamically generated page urls
– avoid redundancies of kw
– customize urls for category, product, and info pages
* Unique meta data for every page?
– title, desc, kw
– avoid duplicate meta data (watch out for this)
– take the time to write these out, or dynamic
* Main navigation?
– consistent throughout the site
– link to major product categories/pages
– be descriptive, but don’t overoptmize
* Internal navigation (sub navigation)?
– deeper navigation on specific category pages (siloing, or dynamic navigation)
* helps SE’s and users better navigate your site
* access to relevant product category pages that might not fit in main navigation
– displayed on the sidebar or subheader
Additional Site Quality Considerations?
Discussing additional site quality features for best performance.
– XML sitemap for Google, priority settings at 1.0 home, .9 for categories, and .8 for product pages
– HTML sitemap displaying links to ALL pages on the site (home, category, product, info, etc)
– navigation path, usually above the main content area, below the main navigation.
– select a theme that supports breadcrumbs
– have your developer build breadcrumb features into your theme
* schema rich snippets *
– official or “best” url for a page, when there are several options
– duplicate pages/content
SSL certificate (https)?
– site security settings
– important for monetary transactions (TRUST)
Shipping & Return Policy?
– are you selling products?
– Google looks for these types of policies
About Us , Terms & Conditions, Contact Us?
– company information
– official business information
Product Page Content/Considerations?
** SEO opportunities (long tail kw traffic)
– Product names (kw optimized)
– Unique, high-res images, optimized file name
– Unique content (product description)
– Product Reviews
– Schema code (rich snippets, structured data, microdata)
** detailed information intended to help users with specific queries
** Google recommends this (microdata)
– Schema for ecommerce product pages:
– product name
– reviews (gold star)
– Social Share Features (FB, Tw, G+, Pn)
– allow users to post, tweet, pin from the product page.
Category Page Content/Considerations?
– banner or optimized image
– product links
– product images (alt, etc)
– avoid duplicated product lists
– Yes. Add a blog and post regularly
– See next video for in-depth ecommerce store conversion optimization tips.
Contact Orange County SEO today for more information and help with your ecommerce store SEO.
Orange County SEO Company, Inc.
16400 Pacific Coast Highway, Suite 218
Huntington Beach, CA. 92649
Additional Social, Editorial & Resource Links: